Intern Trait Genetics
Your tasks and responsibilities
Bayer Crop Science R&D team in Bergschenhoek is looking for an Internship Trait Genetics.
Bayer Vegetable Seeds is specialized in breeding, production and sales of vegetable seeds. Employment at this Bayer division means working for a fast-paced and ambitious company. We encourage individuals to excel in creativity and to show strong decision-making skills, team player mentality and entrepreneurial spirit.
An incredible opportunity to gain broad experience within a market-leading, innovative, multinational company exists. This is a chance to work in a multicultural environment within a highly motivated and professional team; the prospect of career advancement; a chance to build the future that you have always imagined
Your main responsibilities
· As an intern, you will be responsible for characterizing and determining the genetic architecture of novel agronomic traits needed to deliver innovation in our glasshouse vegetable breeding pipelines.
Activities can include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct a literature study to search for leads and provide the required scientific context to your project.
- Design proof of concept experiments and conduct research trials in the nursery and in the greenhouse.
- Generate and analyze phenotypic and genotypic data
- Develop genetic predictions of actual plant phenotypes and evaluate the accuracy.
- Keep proper documentation of your research and present your project to an international group of colleagues from R&D.
Who you are
· Knowledge and experience with plant biology and genetics
· Have a desire to attain applied research experience.
· Strong communication skills are required for written and oral presentations.
· Fluency in English, written as well as spoken, is required;
· Description of critical skills: self-motivated, creative/innovative, independent, networker, agility, results orientation.
Experience and qualifications
· Graduate students pursuing a Bsc or Msc degree in Plant Breeding, Biology, Biotechnology, Plant Pathology or similar field related to Agriculture, who are available for a period of 6 months, starting from November 2019 onwards. Juniors in similar degree programs will also be considered.
You will be given the opportunity to work side by side with a Bayer Research Scientist(s) and receive practical experience on numerous research activities common within industry.
Please apply through our website www.monsanto.com/careers, ref. 01XF0
Bayer successfully completed the acquisition of Monsanto in June 2018, bringing together Monsanto’s leadership in seeds and plant traits with Bayer’s leadership in chemical and biological crop protection. By joining forces, we will create even more extensive career opportunities for talent around the world. We’re a global team working to shape agriculture through breakthrough innovation that will benefit farmers, consumers, and our planet.
While we are now Bayer, we will continue to hire using separate career sites until we can integrate our career platforms. We invite you to explore the career opportunities available at the combined company by visiting advancingtogether.com/careers
Functional Area: [sap_fa_10]
Entry Level: 1
Do you have a question? We are happy to help.