Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the Life Science fields of health care and agriculture. Its products and services are designed to benefit people and improve their quality of life. At Bayer you have the opportunity to be part of a culture where we value the passion of our employees to innovate and give them the power to change.
Your tasks and responsibilities
Bayer successfully completed the acquisition of Monsanto in June 2018, bringing together Monsanto’s leadership in seeds and plant traits with Bayer’s leadership in chemical and biological crop protection. By joining forces, we will create even more extensive career opportunities for talent around the world. We’re a global team working to shape agriculture through breakthrough innovation that will benefit farmers, consumers, and our planet.
While we are now Bayer, we will continue to hire using separate career sites until we can integrate our career platforms. We invite you to explore the career opportunities available at the combined company by visiting advancingtogether.com/careers.
We are seeking a highly motivated Statistical Scientist to perform and guide biostatistics and genetic analyses with Breeding and Discovery teams. This involves working with a diverse group of cross-functional scientists and breeders, in addition to various domain experts across Monsanto IT.
What You Will Do:
- Provide leadership and conduct analysis of high-dimensional and multiple-layered experimental data such as genotypes, phenotypes and pedigrees across vegetable crops.
- Improve process efficiencies, teach statistical concepts, and lead projects for increased precision and testing efficiency in collaboration with a cross-functional group of Geneticists, Pathologists, and Breeders to enable native trait development and accelerate genetic gain.
- Support data capture and utilization through liaising with enterprise and pipeline IT in the roll out of data automation and visualization tools for data-based trait discovery, hybrid development and product advancement decisions.
- Bring expertise to predictive breeding working groups, compute genomic prediction models and establish integrated breeding workflows to expedite genomic selection in selected vegetable crops.
Who you are
Required Education & Skills/Experience:
- M.S. with five years of experience, or Ph.D. in Statistics, Plant Breeding, Biometrics, Quantitative Genetics or related field.
- Expertise in wide range of statistical techniques including, but not limited to experimental design, (non-) linear mixed models, multivariate statistics, non-parametric analysis, (G)BLUP methodology and Bayesian statistics.
- Experience in conducting (multi-environment, agricultural) field research and analyzing data, in addition to experience in genome-wide association and kinship studies.
- Strong people and communication skills: demonstrated to be a great team player. Ability to influence key stakeholders, work and communicate effectively across functions, i.e. with a diverse group with scientists and non-scientists to accomplish goals.
- Two to three years of experience in data analysis, consulting and problem solving in an agronomic or breeding environment.
- Strong computational background (programming skills in for example R, R shiny, Python, Clojure, MATLAB and or SAS) and skills in data mining. Extensive knowledge of APIs, AWS and Google cloud computing. Dmonstrated compliance with code sharing and governance practices.
- Practiced presenting, teaching and engaging with geographically distant partners to align and execute on best practice to obtain superior results.
- Experienced in applying predictive breeding theory to create opportunities and applications to commercial vegetable breeding programs.
Bayer offers a wide variety of competitive compensation and benefits programs. If you meet the requirements of this unique opportunity, and you have the "Passion to Innovate" and the "Power to Change", we encourage you to apply now. Job postings will remain open for a minimum of ten business days and are subject to immediate closure thereafter without additional notice. To all recruitment agencies: Bayer does not accept unsolicited third party resumes.
Do you have a question? We are happy to help.